Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Food Bringing Families Together

Food Shopping Memories 

My father told me a story about how when he was a child, my grandmother would as if anyone wanted to accompany her to the grocery store and usually no one would want to go. For some reason my father fell he should go help his mother shop for food. As a result, my grandmother would let him pick what cereal he wanted to eat, in addition to giving him a choice of snacks she would get for him. If my memory is correct, when they got home and his siblings saw what my grandmother gave him for coming and helping, they all wanted to come on the next trip to the grocery store. Not to my surprise she didn't buy everything she did the first time with my father. 

This was a funny story to my own siblings and me because when we were young we would stay home or wait in the car while my mother went food shopping. However, my younger brother some how must of had the same idea as my father did when he was younger. As a result when Joel, my younger brother got home he would always have his Honey Nut Cheerios and Gummy Bears waiting for him after he helped bringing in the greocery store. As history repeats itself, my older brothers and I tried to go the next time, but my mother didn't make it around to getting use everything we wanted. 

This time my father and my little brother spent with their mothers was priceless. Likewise, food was the reason for bringing them together; this was the common ground for them. Whether it is my mother or grandmother, they loved to cook and my father and brother loved to eat. This was enough to give them quality time. I can honestly say to this day if my mother goes food shopping (even when Joel doesn't join her), she will have gummy bears in a bag for Joel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment